Tornadoes: Health Information Guide
- Tornado Basics
National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
U. S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Online Tornado FAQ
National Weather Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Stay Safe Before, During and After a Tornado
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Information by Topic Area
The searches below find resources from two National Library of Medicine databases:
- Disaster Lit®: links to disaster medicine and public health documents for a professional audience, available on the internet at no cost. Includes expert guidelines, research reports, conference proceedings, training classes, fact sheets, websites, databases, and more.
- PubMed: more than 28 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. May include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
Click on the searches below, or go directly to the databases and develop your own searches.
General Health-Related Information
Worker and Responder Safety
Preparedness and Response
Cleanup and Recovery
- Caregiver-adolescent co-reminiscing and adolescents' individual recollections of a devastating tornado: Associations with enduring posttraumatic stress symptoms
- Dispositional mindfulness mediates the relations between neuroticism and posttraumatic stress disorder and depression in Chinese adolescents after a tornado
Apps and Mobile Web Pages
- Emergency App
American Red Cross
- National Weather Service Mobile
National Weather Service, National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce
- SAMHSA Behavioral Health Disaster Response
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Listo.gov, Federal Emergency Management Agency, U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- MedlinePlus en español:
Resources for the General Public
Health information for the general public about hazards, emergencies, and disasters is available in MedlinePlus from the National Library of Medicine. MedlinePlus resources are also available in Spanish.